Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Poopy Teach and Tell Project

My oldest son Logan has to do a two minute speech every Thursday in his first grade class. Toys, games, and other items of the sort a strictly forbidden.....you have to teach your classmates something or relay some kind of educational information about something or somewhere.

This of course falls onto my shoulders. I have searched the internet far and wide for practical projects that my son could demonstrate in class and it's actually been quite fun - we've learned that Logan can make his own peanut butter sandwich, peel an orange, make his own microwave popcorn in a brown lunch bag, tie his shoes, make some fun green goo, etc. Well I had in my hands a recipe for edible playdough on Tuesday night and since Wednesday night is busy with religion class and this week an Illini game - Tuesday night is typically our night to create and/or practice our teach and tell - so I sat both boys down at the table armed with the ingredients -

Peanut Butter
Cocoa Powder
Milk Powder
Honey

There is a recipe that you could follow, but I just improvised given I didn't have as much of the stuff as it called for. We made do with what we had. You can also give the children nuts, raisins, dried fruit, etc. to make faces or other creations with your "dough".

I gave the children rolling pins, ice cream scoops, cookie cutters and for about 20 minutes they just played, laughed, snacked a little, etc. (BTW - this stuff is really yummy - my husband declined a taste test though.)

After the children were done, I took the empty peanut butter jar and put the "dough" in it and labeled it with Logan's name. I then looked at it again.....it looked like poop in a jar. I did not take a picture of it, but I guarantee you would agree with me. Logan and I got a good giggle out of this and I said "I can't send this with you....it looks like poop in a jar!" - so I squeezed this out of the jar, which made us giggle even harder, and placed it in a Glad container thinking that it would look better in that.

I put together copies of the recipe for Logan to hand out to his class and sent him to school today with his Edible Playdough, a.k.a. The Poopy Teach and Tell, and I just know that during the course of his speech, he will tell everyone that it looks like poop. The joys of being the mother to boys - a girl would think it's gross, boys think it's funny!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it! and i wonder what his teacher will say/do if he DOES call it that!