Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Can you hear me crunching my granola?

I did it, last night I made my own laundry detergent.....in addition to buying some organic cereals, switching out all of our shampoos, soaps, lotions, and toothpaste with more natural ones, and I bought organic vegetables.

Really, I know.....I'm jumping on a bandwagon here that I'm not quite sure about. I mean, I feel like my family is healthy and that we eat the very best things we can and I look around at other families who are just like us and don't use natural shampoos, eat regular fruits/vegetables - and they are fine.....so why am I doing this.

Well, for awhile now I've been thinking about buying organic fruits/vegetables because I am concerned about pesticides on our foods. And while at the store I saw organic cereals on sale for the same price as regular cereals....so I thought "What the heck!". I also bought bread made with whole grains, no high fructose syrup, etc., and Randy actually liked it. So that's my reasoning for the food.

The laundry detergent, soaps, etc. - well, I have skin issues that are a symptom of my lupus. My skin is actually very sensitive and dry and seems to get worse every year. Lately my scalp has been irritated as well. So in doing some research I decided to make the leap to more natural products, ones that are organic and don't contain chemicals in them that could increase my irritation. And the toothpaste....well, that was just an impulse organic purchase! ha! ha!

In addition to all of this organic madness, last night I made my kids cupcakes using pumpkin puree, flax seed, and yogurt AND I made my own applesauce with a bag of apples that were going to expire before we could eat them all!

Oh my! My husband was just shaking his head at me.....he probably thinks I've lost it!

Reviews:

#1. Homemade laundry detergent.....SUPER easy to make, smells like clean soap, and from the website I got the recipe from - apparently only costs $0.01 per load.

#2. Natural shampoo/conditioner.....my hair has body and shine after one wash and I will have to keep an eye on it to see if it gets healthier while I use these products.

#3. Organic body/face lotion....I already feel a difference in my skin - it feels soft and supple and the last time I used lotion was around 7:15 a.m. - normally it's already dried out.

#4. The cupcakes.....really yummy! It was a box cake mix, 1 can of pumpkin puree, 6 oz. of peach yogurt, 1/4 c. of flax seed, 2 tbl. vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 1 large egg white, 1/4 c. water and you can either make a cake or cupcakes....so I made cupcakes. It made 24 cupcakes, baked at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Logan tested them right out of the oven and gave them a thumbs up!

#5. The applesauce.....always yummy! Noah and I put this in our oatmeal this morning and it was a great treat! Warm apples with cinnamon on a cold snowy day.....aahh!

I promise I won't get completely nutty about all of this natural stuff....I just think it's worth trying. If I see that it helps my family - absolutely it's worth doing - but I won't go overboard, I promise!

Have a happy day!

Angela

No comments: