Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Living your life outloud

I have nothing to hide, I am an open book and I heard the term "Living Your Life Outloud" today and I think it describes me very well. I don't mind telling you what I think, feel, am going through.....like I said, I have nothing to hide. My marriage isn't perfect, my kids are sometimes a little nutty, I make mistakes, etc. - I'm normal - at least that's what one of my voices has told me! ha! But I live my life outloud and I don't feel bad about it.

My husband on the other hand, feels that I should be less open with putting out there that our child has ADHD with anxiety tendencies, or that our marriage isn't perfect, or that I'm even having a bad day. I don't know if this is because he's a guy who burps when he's happy, farts when his tummy is full, and grunts as a form of communication. I'm just kidding, he talks sometimes! ; ) He is technically challenged and he doesn't fully understand social networks or blogging - he just doesn't get why anyone would care that I'm hungry and looking for lunch ideas.

And I have to wonder, am I putting myself or my family at risk by living my life outloud? This goes back to my question of are we making ourselves too available to the masses and revealing personal information about ourselves that we might not otherwise reveal to others? I think that the extent of information you reveal is indicative of the kind of person you are in real life, not just virtually. If I wasn't on social networks or blogging and we were standing next to each other in line at the grocery store, I just might reveal to you that I'm hungry for a cheeseburger or that my son has ADHD.....I live my life that way - I have nothing to hide and I feel like in sharing the stories of my life might help others who are feeling the same way.

I have a friend who follows politics closely and has strong opinions about how things are run in the United States and she's not afraid to tell you how she feels. I have another friend who is very Christian and is not afraid to tell you if you are not following the word of God or offers you a bible verse to get you through a tough spot. These friends live their lives outloud and I don't think it's harming anyone, if anything I've learned so much from these women. But others that choose not to voice their opinions on politics or religion might take offense to what these women reveal.

I think that if you are active in an organization, or there is something that you are passionate about that you should voice this to others. If you have nothing to hide in your life and are proud of everything, including all of your flaws, you should share your stories so that people around you can look to you as a source of information or support. I love my husband and sons and am so proud of them all - are they flawed? Yes. Should they be judged for that? Absolutely not. But I do think that sometimes one can reveal too much about themselves and maybe live a little too outloud. And I do hope that I don't do that, I hope that the volume of information that I provide is not too loud - because I would never want to jeopardize my family, I've done that before and it's not a moment that I'm proud of.

No comments: